With the school holidays already started and Christmas around the corner, many families will be hitting the road to visit loved ones at the beach, out west or even interstate. If you are planning on a road trip this summer, drive safe and take regular breaks.
Here are our 10 tips to staying safe on the roads:
1. Stay alert, slow down and stay in control.
2. Slowdown in adverse weather conditions, maintain a three-second gap between vehicles and longer in poor conditions.
3. Take a break. If you feel tiredness is taking you over, then pull over and rest up for at least 15 minutes.
4. Stretch: When you take a break, find a safe place to park your car and step outside to stretch your legs and arms and back.
5. Limit your speed: Driving at higher speeds requires greater concentration and causes drivers to tire more easily. Speeding is also a major cause of accidents. Did you know that travelling even 10kms over the speed limit will cost you in extra fuel consumption.
6. Stick to the rules: Knowing and respecting the rules of the road is a key factor in ensuring road safety.
7. Be equipped: In the unfortunate event of a roadside breakdown, it is important to remain highly visible to other drivers, so make sure you are equipped with a safety kit before you drive.
8. Do not use your phone: If you must make a call when driving, use a hands-free set. If you do not have one, pull over when it is safe to do so to make that call. And never text and drive!
9. Never drink and drive – have an allocated driver or catch a taxi.
10. Break-up the trip – If you are travelling long distances break-up the trip and check into a motel or hotel along the way. Not only will it give you a chance to rest up but you can also use the time to explore an area that you might have just driven past.
If you are heading out west this summer why don’t you break up the trip and stay with us at Kings Park Accommodation. Our friendly staff, delicious home-style cooked meals in the Bistro and comfy rooms will help you restore your energy for the next day of driving. Contact us now for a booking.